Parents As Good Role Models
Parenting is exceptional and demanding because it shapes the minds, attitudes, and actions of children for either good or bad. Children learn their behavior by watching and imitating the people they see the most, usually parents, especially during the child’s formative years.
You can be a father or a mother and still not be a parent because a parent is the one who has the most formative influence in a child’s life.
The question is who or what has the most formative influence on your children? It could be their Schoolteacher, Nanny, Celebrities or Television Stars etc.
Children are natural learners
Children are great natural learners and they learn best through observation and imitation. If parent’s words say one thing and actions another, children will pick up on the actions and ignore the words. For this reason, as parents, we must be very careful to live the way we want our children to live. We should be a good role model to our children.
John 5:19: “Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.”KJV
One of the purpose of parenting is to raise righteous and godly children.. Children who love God with all their heart. This requires training.
Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”KJV
- Teaching our children to depend on God by modeling this to them. Proverbs 18:10
- Teaching them to be humble. Proverbs 18:12
- Teaching them to seek knowledge. Proverbs 18:15
- Teaching them to always make positive confession and never use vulgar words. Proverbs 18:21
- Teaching them to make integrity their watchword. Proverbs 19:1
- Teaching them to never bear false witness. Proverbs 19:5, 9
- Teaching them to keep God’s commandments and also obey rules and regulations. Proverbs 19:16
- As parents, we shouldn’t refrain from correcting and chastising our children. Proverbs 19:18
All these virtues should be found in us as parents thereby making it easy to teach and demonstrate to the children.
“What type of parent are you? Is it do as I do or do as I say?”
May we not fail in this great assignment the Lord as committed into our hands as parents in Jesus name. Amen.
What are your thoughts on this topic, PARENTS AS GOOD ROLE MODELS? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
Kindly show your support for this blog by sharing this post with your friends. Click the ‘SHARE’ button below. Cheers!